Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Why I'm supporting Hillary (for right now)

I was at a counseling conference for the last two days (which I really thought was worthwhile, but I'll get to that in another post) and had a chance to interact with some colleagues that I rarely see because they work at another school. One of them used to work with me at my present school a few years ago, back when I was a Republican (or RINO - Republican in Name Only - as I was later informed by another blogger, but I digress). At any rate my friend was surprised that I had changed political allegiances, but she didn't seem upset until the subject came around to Hillary Clinton. "There's no way I could vote for her!" When told that I'm supporting Ms. Clinton for the moment, my friend burst out "What does your wife say?!"
For the record, my sainted spouse is not a Hillary fan either, nor is my teenage philosopher son. My daughter voices the possibility that she might could possibly support Hillary under certain circumstances, but as she finds politcs boring (and can't vote for Pres until the 2016 election) I find myself pretty much alone in my own household.
My support for Hilary up to this point, basically rests on her Senate career. It seems that she is a good Senator, willing to do the work needed to get legislative results and find common ground with those across the aisle. To me this indicated a pragmatism that I think our next President will need. Of course, it could also be a good argument for keeping her in the Senate and electing someone else, such as Obama...

No comments: